A traditional mithai that everybody has a reason to like—some for the taste, some for the goodness of doodhi and milk, and some for the warm feeling it instils on a rainy day! i know some busy-bees who would stop over at a sweetmeat stall, have a cup of halwa and a samosa in lieu of a meal, and continue their work with full energy!
Makes 2 servings
1 cup grated bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
1 1/2 tsp ghee
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup grated khoya
For The Garnish
1 tbsp chirongi nuts (charoli)
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the bottle gourd and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and milk and cover and cook on a slow flame for approx. 4 to 5 minutes,till the bottle gourd is soft.
- Add the khoya, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, garnish with chirongi nuts and allow to cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled.
Recipe Source: Doodhi Halwa