Crispy starter of bread coated with a spicy yellow bean paste.
Preparation Time: few
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Makes 6 servings
1/2 cup dreid yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) , soaked for 30 minutes and drained
1 tsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp whole black peppercorns (kalimirch)
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp green chilli paste
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1/2 cup cooked and mashed potatoes
2 tbsp cornflour
10 bread slices with crust removed
salt to taste
oil for deep-frying
- Combine the drained moong dal with the garlic and black peppercorn and blend to a smooth mixture using a little water.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add the soya sauce, sugar, green chilli paste, coriander, potatoes, cornflour and salt and mix well.
- Using a knife, spread a generous layer of this paste on the bread slices.
- Deep fry in oil till golden brown.
- Drain and cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles.
- Serve hot with a sauce of your choice.
- The bean paste can be made well ahead of time and frozen till required.
Recipe Source: Fried Bread and Yellow Bean Paste