1 1/4 cups plain flour (maida)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp levelled, baking powder
1/2 cup powdered almonds
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup curds (dahi), beaten
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tsp orange squash
1 tsp vanilla essence
butter for greasing
For the garnish
- Sieve the flour, soda bi-carb and baking powder together.
- Combine the flour mixture, powdered almonds and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix together the butter, curds, orange juice, orange squash and vanilla essence.
- Add this to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour this batter into a greased 125 mm. (5") diameter cake tin. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190°C (375°F) for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and unmould.
- Garnish with the whipped cream, orange segments and toasted almonds. Cut into wedges and serve.
Recipe Source: Sicilian Orange Almond Cake by Tarla Dalal