Using a variety of vegetables substantially increases the vitamin c, calcium and fibre content of these colourful uttapas, ideal for an evening snack.
Makes 15 mini uttapas
1 1/4 cups readymade idli batter
1/4 cup finely shredded cabbage
1/4 cup grated cauliflower
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped capsicum
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp fruit salt
oil for greasing and cooking
- Combine all the ingredients except the fruit salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Just before cooking, add the fruit salt and sprinkle a little water over it. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Grease a non-stick mini uttapa pan with a little oil, pour approximately 1½ tbsp of the batter in each mould and spread it lightly.
- Cook them using a little oil, till they turn crisp and golden brown from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make one more batch of uttapas.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Panchratna Uttapa by Tarla Dalal